Saturday, December 1, 2007

I just woke up (before my alarm, which is unfortunate) from a really nasty dream.


It was one of those where it was set in a fairly believable setting with the characters in it all being people I know; nothing outrageous to tip me off that it's a dream. But this was that kind where you wake up and the emotions from the dream are still with you, even long after you realize it was "just a dream" and that the situation (or at least people's reactions within it) really was quite illogical.


I started wondering why certain dreams contain emotions that won't loosen their grip on you once you awake; whereas sometimes I could have a nightmare about something far crazier and scarier (think horror movie) and be fine as soon as I wake up. I think for this one there were enough elements in it directly related to the past few days that, rather than being able to think it away on the basis of being illogical, it just seems like a possibility twisted and extrapolated from what really happened but blown slightly out of proportion. Also, I know it wasn't random, but was dredged up from fears/concerns/insecurities about things that I only had a marginal awareness of. This makes it much harder to write off b/c a little voice says, "what if the elements are true? What if that is all true, just not the ridiculous way it happened? What if people really think that? What if you really are that way?" I wonder if that's the dividing line btwn dreams you can shrug off and forget and those that latch on with their claws and won't let go: The extent to which they search out your deeper fears and insecurities and bring them to the forefront.

I think I've found a new reason not to sleep in.

2 comments:

nick said...

Sorry you had a bad dream.

I think I'm inclined to agree with you, the dreams that search out my deeper fears and insecurities and bring them to the forefront are the ones more haunting and harder to move past. It always surprises me how these dreams can effect how I think about, interact with, and how close I feel to the people in them. I might avoid a roommate that morning, call a close friend who was in the dream, or even feel anger or distant from a person. All purely from the story of the dream.

When I read this post I thought of this Keane song I hadn't listened to since this summer, pretty sure it's only because the name of the song is A Bad Dream but thought it was fun to post some lyrics :)

"I wake up, it's a bad dream
No one on my side
I was fighting
But I just feel too tired
To be fighting
Guess I'm not the fighting kind"

Ty Grigg said...

One time I had this dream and Freddy Krueger was in it and at first I was really scared. But it turned out he was just my friend's dad; he was actually nice. He tossed the ol' pigskin around with us. I never saw Freddy Krueger the same after that.