Tuesday, January 15, 2008

After the traumatic experience of being moved into a water-filled Ziploc while I cleaned his tank, Hobbes is looking even worse than before.

I noticed yesterday that he'd developed these white spots on his scales, his color was fading and his veins showed through his skin a bit. Not good.

Well as of now, placed back into his tank, the white spots are gone but the back half of his tail is trailing behind, connected by a thread. He's spending an awful lot of time near the surface, tilting somewhat sideways when he's not thrashing around like Nemo with a bum fin.

Sideways is NEVER a good sign. It's halfway to dead-man's float.

Makes me really unsettled to watch him.

If fish have any cognitive ability to feel such, I think he's suffering.

5 comments:

Jeffrey Spencer said...

i think your fish has ich...

there is medication for him at the fish store, if you want him to survive.


i lost a lot of fish to the same disease back when i had an aquarium, before i found out about the cure...

Amy Van-Mod said...

First off: an official welcome to my blog. :-)
ah, I've heard of that before.
Is it already too late though if he's that far gone?

And is there a way to prevent it from happening in the first place?

Anonymous said...

I can't quite imagine a fish's tail hanging on by a thread. It sounds gruesome...and unpleasant.

Hey, I'm totally on top of things. I just finished my 530 Written Response. Yay!

Amy Van-Mod said...

Well, it wasn't the meaty part of the tail, just the wispy part.

Now whenever he's not moving, he goes into barrel rolls. . . :-/ I wonder if Lisa would take "deathly ill pet" as an excuse for crappy lesson plans tomorrow.

The curious part of me wants to know what it is about the anatomy of a dying fish that rolls them under like that. B/c a healthy fish doesn't have to be moving to stay upright.

ashley said...

Ich is a parasite that fish often get when they transfer to a new environment. Putting non-iodized salt in the water helps. Also, there is medicine you can get at any pet store. I lost my first fish to ich, but I haven't had trouble with it since.