It takes the url of your blog and calculates what reading level is required to understand your blog. I had the same questions Laura did: How exactly is this calculated anyway? By actual writing skill or just lack of spelling errors and big words?
I did it on my old blog first and received a reading level of elementary school.
I figured this one would get a higher rating for two reasons:
1) Less posts so ratio of big words to small words is larger.
2) This is the blog where I put my more thought-out posts, where I actually bother to sound at least semi-intelligent. :)
Turns out I was right:
Get a Cash Advance
So of course, I checked out all the other blogs I read to see if I could get a handle on what the rating was based on. I'm not really sure b/c some of the results surprised me slightly, but it's definitely not random. I think part of it has something to do with the words you use (length AND common v. rare?). So I probably got major points for Pedunculated/sessile Polyps, Evangelical, temporize, pretentious, etc.But I explain most of the concepts that would be unfamiliar to the majority, so doesn't that affect it too?
Conclusion: I'm putting too much thought into a sketchy computer program. :-p
1 comment:
I don't think there's any such thing as putting too much thought in a sketchy computer program. Regardless of the sketchiness of said program, the thinking still requires mental faculties. Hence, putting thought into sketchy computer programs is like mental push ups, and they are the only kind of push up I enjoy.
It appears that we both have a fascination with this Reading Level thing. I'm really tempted to write a completely incoherent post using really large and technical words. Too bad the vocabulary for my field of study doesn't sound very technical.
Post a Comment