Saturday, November 10, 2007

Self-explanatory


"So when one of my comrades asks me [if I'm an Evangelical], my impulse is to temporize, to hem and haw, to split hairs and explain that my theological orientation is certainly evangelical, but culturally, intellectually, and politically, I am much more sophisticated than his stereotype of evangelism. [I'm not brave enough to correct his assumptions of Evangelicals]. I simply want to correct his impressions of me, 'No, no. I'm not one of them. I'm one of you. I believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, but I also wear fishnet stockings and drink single malt scotch.'"

--Lauren F. Winner from Girl Meets God; A Memoir.

I enjoy Lauren's candidness. She's as unpretentious as you can get, even in the way she admits to her pretension. I checked out a third book of hers from the library to read over break, because she wrote it more than because I found the topic particularly interesting. Knowing her writing style, should be a good, thought provoking read.

6 comments:

josh w said...

Is that the book about a Jewish woman who becomes Christian, but says she doesn't really feel it's appropriate to say that she converted?

Amy Van-Mod said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Van-Mod said...

um. . .you've got the right book, but I'd interpret the theme a bit differently. I read it as her journey from Judaism to finding Christ and the process she went through to be able to consolidate (not the word I'm looking for) her Jewish past and her belief in Christ. I'm not sure she would or wouldn't say it's appropriate to say she converted. The part I quoted was her pointing out a shortcoming, not her saying that's the way to do things. Judging from your comment, you don't think highly of the book?

josh w said...

No, no, no, that's not the case at all. I agree very strongly that it's not really appropriate for a Jewish man or woman to become Christian and say he or she converted. The two are not really different religions. Christ is the fulfillment of Judaism. Jesus did not establish a new rligion.

Christianity encompasses both Jews and Gentiles, so there is some distinction perhaps aside from just acceptance or rejection of Jesus as the Messiah. I may be thinking of a different book, however. I had a friend recommend one in which a Jewish woman is arguing that when she became Christian she really didn't convert, just was more genuinely Jewish because she acknowledged that the Messiah had come.

This book was given as an option to read for a theology course I took last year. I didn't read it, but I thought it was interesting from my professor's description. I probably just confused it with the one my friend recommended, or thought they might be the same book.

Amy Van-Mod said...

Nope, I think it's the same one. I wasn't sure what you were saying at first. Sounds the same. I think I was defending what I thought you were saying, when it's not what you were saying, so never mind. :) And yes, it was a good one.

josh w said...

Re: Pope John Paul II music video

My initial reaction was negative for because there seemed to be an overly heavy emphasis in the article on two things.

1) The composer is agnostic. The man's lack of faith does not make him a bad artist. Since he is so highly acclaimed and those in charge of the project want it to turn out well, it makes sense to seek the most talented artist. It is not such a controversy or betrayal of faith to commission him.

2) The purpose of the DVD, or even a major purpose among others, is to sway public opinion in the favor of Pope John Paul II in order to hasten his canonization. The man has been dead for only a couple of years and people already refer to him as "John Paul the Great." He is not forgotten and has been very well loved in the Church for a long time. Pope Benedict XVI knew him well in life. A music video may reinvigorate already-present love for the late pontiff, but I'm not sure that there is much more convincing of the man's holiness that needs to be done.


Now, my positive reaction - the Church is embracing modern culture, not to "get hip" and try to prove itself as "relevant," but to use new art forms and technology to preach the Gospel. It is important to have a Catholic culture in place that encompasses all aspects of our lives, not just the moments we spend in the church. Where I need that in literature, I read Victor Hugo and Flannery O'Connor. Where I need that in film, I watch The Scarlet and the Black and The Passion of the Christ. Where I need that in music video, I will watch that DVD about John Paul II.