
So this is my knee-jerk reaction to the device as well, plus this comic brings to mind memories of reading by flashlight as a child when I was supposed to have lights-out. I also used to read by the light of my cell phone (I had to hit a button ever 7 seconds to keep the light on) after my roommate Freshman year would ask me to turn my light out.
I doubt anything could fully replace the feel of worn pages, the smell of old (and new) books, the rustle of a page turning. I'm still a tangible kind of gal. I mean sure, they've largely been replaced by more efficient modes of conversation (first phone, then email and messaging clients), but few people would dispute that, in general, a hand-written letter still carries more significance than most more technologically advanced forms of communication.
6 comments:
I don't exactly have high hopes for the Kindle. I don't like reading on screen for long periods of time (plus they charge you to put your own data on the thing).
110% agreement about the goodness of hand-written letters. Hopefully those will never go out of style... future generations wouldn't know what they're missing.
P.S. hope you don't mind another person reading your blog :)
Jenny:
I don't mind at all, and I'm glad when I get comments from new people so I know they're reading.
Only one question. Is this Jenny from I-Life, or Jenny from SHS? :-p
Jenny from I-Life. Sorry I didn't specify... blogger used to put my last initial on my comments, I don't know why it doesn't anymore...
and thanks for not minding :)
Well welcome Jenny C. :)
PS: I have a check for the Hyatt for you. . . shall try to remember to bring it to SNG next week (assuming there is an SNG this Saturday).
Generally, I agree -- books are much easier on the eyes. I think certain kinds of books can be better suited for the screen, though. Computer books, for instance. They're usually outdated not long after they're written, and having them on the computer means they're more searchable, compared to being at the mercy of the index or table of contents. Funny cartoon.
Post a Comment